The black paint was flaking off and the address was a little hard to read (though I blurred it out here for privacy purposes).
I removed the mailbox and unsuccessfully tried to scrape some of the letters off. I did however, tape over the parts I didn't want to paint and temporarily removed the red flag.
A few coats of black spray paint later and voile.
I added a few ("deer-resistant") plants on the driveway side and put mulch down around the post. I also got some black address numbers and screwed them to the driveway side of the post. It makes me smile every time I come home :).
I did a few other small projects - like plant this mum in organic potting soil on the deck.
I also turned this galvanized tub into a planter by drilling holes in the bottom for drainage. The herbs are already looking pretty sad - hopefully they last a little longer.